Monday 30 November 2009

Newspaper Typography

Before I redesign my new title I'm firstly going to research newspaper typography and newspaper fonts so I will be able to see if there is an obvious choice for my newspaper flag, headlines and body text.




The diagram above shows all the technical terms of typography. These have given me a more in-depth understanding of letters and words and how they are presented. This is again shown below in another image with a few extra terms.
Below is another example of some typography terms but has also mentioned the technical terms of spacing.


Above Sans Serif and Serif font is mentioned, below is a diagram showing the differences between them.


As you can see Serifs on a font are informally called the 'feet' on the letter.

From finding these images they have helped me get a better grasp on typography and will hopefully help me in considering my fonts for my newspaper.

While Researching I came across this image and study below, which has really enlightened me and I didn't realise before a newspaper would use so many fonts!


This copy of a local Los Angeles newspaper shows 22 different fonts and typefaces on the front cover alone!


The link above will direct you to a Font study which states that Poynter, Franklin Gothic, Helvetica, Utopia, Times New Roman, Nimrod, Century, Interstate, Bureau Grotesque and Miller are the most popular typefaces in newspapers.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.ascendercorp.com/pdf/Ascender_Corp_Fonts_on_the_Front_Page_11_19_2004.pdf

    It must be pdf. Not pfd

    ReplyDelete